A dive knife is a general tool that scuba divers occasionally use to cut entangling fishing line or rap on their tanks to get a buddy’s attention. Some items that fall under this category aren’t really knives at all but are tools designed for specific uses underwater. Dive knives and tools are not weapons and should never be used to harm aquatic creatures or deface the underwater environment.
Standard Dive Knife Features
- Sheath with retainer to mount it on your equipment, such as on your BCD or back of your gauge console; or on you – strapped inside your leg or on your wrist. The sheath must hold your knife securely, yet allow you to release it with one hand.
- Sharp edge for cutting.
Dive Tool Styles
- Dive knife – a stainless steel or titanium knife, usually with a sharp cutting edge and a serrated (sawing) edge. They range in size from very compact to large.
- Dive tool – a dive knife with the sharp tip replaced with a prying tool.
- Dive shears – scissors, good for cutting monofilament line.
- Z-knives – specialized hooks with a blade for cutting fishing line or net.
Check out our other Blades and Triggers products